Thursday, May 17, 2007

Morning blood sugar blues

Guttentag. I finally made it onto the O.C. list, thank you Allison!

So my CDE who is overseeing my pump start is on vacation this week, and I can’t get a hold of her substitute. I also need more insulin, seeing as I never got a new prescription for Novolog when I started my pump, and my 1-a-month prescription that I filled two weeks ago is almost gone. I am calling as soon as I finish this post.

The patterns I mentioned yesterday are still haunting me. See, these are my morning numbers for the week so far (thanks to Kevin for the spreadsheet). Current procedure I am trying for a couple of days 40% up front, with the rest over 1.5hrs. I am flat or am dropping between the time I eat breakfast and when I hop out of the shower an hour later, so that is good (as long as I don’t drop too far), but I don’t like how much I have spiked by the time I get to work. It is starting to look like I need another bolus at 7:30ish. I think I might try calculating and taking the extended bolus and basal I missed during that 15 minute disconnect (~0.6 units) when I reconnect at the end of a shower. Probably won’t be enough, but baby steps, baby steps. Although I am faithful in my own abilities to make wise and careful decisions about my doses, its easier to explain to my doctors when I actually get in touch with them again.




I whine, but at least it is better than last week, when I was taking the whole bolus over two hours to start then moved to a 25% up front/ balance over two hour deal. Yikes! If nothing else, at least they are patterns, and I am not getting a bunch of inexplicably random numbers. Patterns I can deal with.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi Emily!

I was just checking the Diabetes OC site to see what new blogs have come along lately and I clicked over to check out "One Sweet Adventure" (well done on the name, by the way) and was shocked to recognize the graphs! Too funny.

I'm glad you're putting them to good use. And I totally agree: patterns are so much better than random noise. At least you can formulate a plan then.

And regarding the little bolus for the time off the pump during the shower: I do this sometimes too. I don't know if you wrap your tubing around your pump or not, but I also find that it's helpful to deliver a prime until insulin comes out before reconnecting. I've been shocked sometimes to deliver 0.5u before I get a dribble out. That's almost an entire hour's worth of insulin for me!

But, honestly, I'm not all that diligent about doing this... something to work on.

Emily said...

Yes, Kevin, you've attained internet notariety with your little logbook. It's like magic everytime I put a number in a watch a new point on the graph appear.

I continue to work on that morning pattern and despite trying numerous plans the numbers are immutable.